Forest Governance & Timber Legality Expert - Asia
The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organisation with 25 member countries and around 120 member organisations. EFI’s Headquarters is located in Joensuu, Finland. EFI has several offices across Europe, and the FLEGT and REDD Unit has project offices in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and in Beijing, China.
EFI hosts the EU FLEGT Facility and the EU REDD Facility, which support partner countries, the European Commission, EU Delegations and EU Member States in the implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan and REDD+ Activities. Further information about the EU FLEGT and REDD Facilities are available at http://www.euflegt.efi.int/ and http://www.euredd.efi.int/.
To reinforce the Facility’s global FLEGT team, EFI is seeking a Forest Governance & Timber Legality Expert based in its office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tasks and responsibilities
The expert will provide support and guidance to FLEGT processes in the Mekong region, focusing mainly on:
- Stakeholder inclusion and participatory decision making;
- Legislative and policy reform;
- Institutional and capacity development;
- Verification of timber legality, supply chain control, monitoring and transparency in the context of VPA agreements.
The Expert will work closely with stakeholders in Asian countries including governments, forest operators and civil society, as well as the European Commission, EU Delegations, EU Member States.
As part of the FLEGT Facility and together with other Experts, the Expert will:
- Lead Facility work in Mekong countries such as Lao PDR, Myanmar and Thailand with active support from the Facility;
- Support stakeholders of these countries to assess forest governance challenges related to, among others, law enforcement, transparency, legal framework, technical and institutional gaps/weaknesses;
- Assist countries in designing, developing and implementing robust systems to verify timber origin and legality along the supply chain;
- Raise understanding of national institutions and stakeholders on FLEGT through direct engagement with government, private sector and civil society actors;
- Assist the EU in their dialogue with these countries on forest governance, in particular in negotiating VPAs;
- Contribute to FLEGT regional and global activities, including dialogue with regional organisations and initiatives;
- Increase understanding and raise awareness of the potential interactions between FLEGT, REDD+, land use and drivers of deforestation;
- Work in close collaboration with the FLEGT Facility experts and other working on related initiatives, and contribute to strategic thinking and lesson learning to support the implementation of the FLEGT Action Plan.
- University degree in natural resource management, political science, law and economics, forestry, or a related and suitable field. MSc./MA or higher degree is an asset.
- At least 8 years of working experience in the field of natural resources management and governance, in particular in tropical timber producing or processing countries. Working experience in Asia is an asset
- Wide scope of knowledge in sectors such as legal and policy reform or timber industry and trade. Experience in development cooperation is an asset;
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams on complex and politically sensitive issues with governments, industry, NGOs or communities;
- Excellent communication and networking skills, solid writing, reporting and presentation skills;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in one of the languages spoken in South East Asia, or French and Spanish is an asset.
- Expertise in supply chain controls, legality verification, quality management systems or system auditing is an asset.
Duty station and travel
The Expert will be based at EFI’s Kuala Lumpur office with frequent travel to FLEGT partner countries in South East Asia (mainly Mekong region), and regular visits to EFI’s unit office in Barcelona.
EFI offers competitive benefits and salary package. The duration of employment will be two years, including a 4-month probation period, with a possibility for extension.
Interested candidates are requested to send CV with cover letter by 20th March 2017, using our online application form. If it is not possible for you to apply online please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be treated confidentially. EFI is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about the position, please contact Alexander Hinrichs, Head of Asia Regional Office, email: alexander.hinrichs @ efi.int .
Please note that only candidates that have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted.