The EU FLEGT Facility, hosted and managed by EFI, supports the European Union, Member States and partner countries in implementing the EU FLEGT Action Plan. The Facility was established in 2007 and mainly conducts activities in Africa, Asia and Central and South America.
- Country support: The team provides technical assistance to Governments and other stakeholder groups in timber exporting countries, to support the negotiation and implementation of Voluntary Partnership Agreements (VPAs).
- Analytical studies: On behalf of the European Commission, EFI currently develops a research agenda, identifying research needs in the context of the implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan and setting research priorities in a number of areas, e.g. forest policy and governance, forest products marketing and socio-economics.
- Communication: The team aims to increase awareness of the objectives and scope of the FLEGT approach and to encourage lesson-sharing across forest-relevant institutions.
- FLEGT/REDD: The team has a remit to assess linkages and strengthen synergies between the EU FLEGT programme and REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation), the key international programme under development to combat climate change in the forestry sector.
- Regional programme “EFI’s EU FLEGT Asia”: The team supports the implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan in Asia and facilitates information sharing, capacity building, customs and regional collaboration.
More information: Heiko Liedeker, Head of FLEGT and REDD Unit (email@example.com)
Further information about the EU FLEGT Facility can be found on the EU FLEGT Portal.