Inform-Prioritize-Collaborate: Cooperation of Regions on innovation in forest management, use of wood and forest-related services
Photo: Gerd Thomsen/EUSTAFOR
On May 20th 2014 regional forest actors and experts joined forces for the identification of priority areas on which innovation support efforts through Rural Development policies and other European programmes should be focused. Full details here .
One year and a half after this meeting, Rural Development Programmes have been approved, or are in the final approval phase, offering supporting measures for innovating the forest sector. It’s now time to show what Regions are planning or already implementing, to inspire other territories to make use of the available measures (particularly the setting up of EIP AGRI Operational Groups) and to establish cross-border cooperation.
The workshop " Inform-Prioritize-Collaborate: Cooperation of Regions on innovation in forest management, use of wood and forest-related services" takes place on 29 January 2016. The initiative is kindly hosted by the Representation of the Free State of Bavaria to the European Union, Rue Wiertz 77, 1000 Brussels. Kindly register to the event here . You can find the invitation the event here.
Starting from the 4 challenges defined during the 2014 edition, this second workshop will focus on practical ideas and cases on tackling forest-related challenges through innovation and cross sectorial collaboration
- which can be supported as EIP AGRI Operational Groups under the 2014-2020 Rural Development Programmes
- or which can be supported by other relevant programmes (Horizon 2020, COSME, LIFE, INTERREG).
The event will provide an opportunity to bring together potential stakeholders to improve their project ideas and to help Managing Authorities of Rural Development Programmes in better targeting their priorities when implementing their measures to support innovation in forestry.
Photo: Gerd Thomsen/EUSTAFOR
Agenda ( in PDF form )
9:00 Section 1: Opening remarks and addressing speeches
- Stefan PRATSCH, Bavarian State Ministry for Food, Agriculture and Forestry
- Marco REMASCHI, Minister for Agriculture Tuscany Region
- Piotr BORKOWSKI, Executive Director of EUSTAFOR
- Johan ELVNERT, Managing Director of the Forest-Based Sector ETP
9:30 Section 2: European framework for innovation in forestry
- Multi Actor Projects and Thematic Networks relevant for Forestry in the 2016/17 Horizon 2020 Workprogrammes – Doru Leonard IRIMIE, European Commission DG RTD, Unit “Agri-Food Chain” ( presentation )
- Support to Forest Innovation in the EU Forest Strategy and its Forest MAP – María GAFO GÓMEZ-ZAMALLOA, European Commission DG AGRI, Unit “Environment, Forestry and Climate Change” ( presentation )
10:30 Section 3: Supporting forest innovation: Practical cases and project ideas from European Regions
Inspirational cases for EIP AGRI Operational Groups
- Understorey biomass for Mediterranean Forests care – Juan BOTEY SERRA, Finca-Fitor (Spain) ( presentation )
- Revitalizing the Castanea wood value-chain – Giustino MEZZALIRA, Veneto Agricoltura (Italy), Marco GRENDELE, Studio Landes (Italy) ( presentation )
- Substitution of insecticides with wax - Jarl Markus PETTERSEN, Norsk Wax AS (Norway) ( presentation )
- Precision forestry in EU mountain areas - Gianni PICCHI, CNR-IVALSA (Italy) ( presentation )
- Concerted forest management at landscape scale - Christophe CHAUVIN, IRSTEA (France) ( presentation )
The French context at a glance - Clotilde GIRY, National Center of Forest Ownership (France) ( presentation )
12:00 General discussion on all examples
12.30 Lunch break and Poster Exhibition on ongoing innovation activities in forestry and forest machinery
13:30 Section 4: Brokerage session
A matchmaking opportunity for experts and regional actors willing to learn and/or cooperate through EIP AGRI Operational Groups or other support measures for forest innovation. More details in the Summary Report of the Workshop (on top of the page).
13:30 Round 1
14:30 Round 2
15:30 Coffee break
15:50 Section 5: Wrap up and outlook
15:50 Report from the brokerage tables
16:20 Closing remarks
16:30 End of Conference
- European Regions for Innovation in Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ERIAFF Network)
- European Forest Institute (EFI)
- European Association of Mountain Areas (EUROMONTANA)
- European Confederation of Forest Owners (CEPF)
- European State Forest Association (EUSTAFOR)
- European Farmers and Agri-cooperatives (COPA-COGECA)
- European Regions for Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN)